I wonder how many of you remember the Broadway musical Mame? (It was also made into a movie starring Angela Lansbury.)
In the musical, the title character, Mame Dennis, is a wealthy New York socialite who unexpectedly finds herself mentor to her newly orphaned, 10-year-old nephew, Patrick. Together, she and Patrick spend some time enjoying the high life until he is forced, under the terms of his father’s will, to go off to a conservative school in Massachusetts to further his education.
Then, in October 1929, the Stock Market crashes and Mame is left penniless. She tries a number of jobs, but all with disastrous results. In early December, Patrick is home for the weekend and, in an attempt to overcome the doom and gloom that has descended over their lives, Mame proclaims ‘instant Christmas’ – We Need a Little Christmas. Presents are produced and a friend takes them out to dinner – happy days are here again!
So, whilst we, in our current unprecedented situation in the middle of a pandemic may not be able to declare ‘instant Christmas’, it’s actually not all that far away. And since there are now some small glimmers of hope that we may be in a somewhat better place by the time Christmas rolls around, perhaps we should be starting now to make some preparations.
Like for instance, for those of us who are choir directors, getting our Christmas repertoire sorted in the hope that our singers will be able to, once again, do their part in bringing some ‘Joy to the World’.
So, If you’re looking for something new or a bit different, perhaps you may be able to find something amongst my Christmas compositions or arrangements? Here’s a list for you to peruse and, hopefully, find something of interest.
- As I Outrode This Endres Night (The Coventry Shepherds Carol) – SATB a cappella. From the same 16th Century Christmas pageant as The Coventry Carol (Lully, Lullay). (More details)
- Bambino dalle stelle – SATB. An English-language adaptation of the traditional Italian carol Tu scendi dalle stella. (More details)
- Christmas in Australia – SATB, SSA, SAB and Unison/solo. The theme from the tele-movie Blinky Bill’s White Christmas. (More details)
- Dormi, Jesu! – SSA. A gentle Christmas lullaby with Latin text. (More details)
- Hodie Christus natus est – SSAA & SSATB. Latin text “Today Christ is born”, written with a medieval flavour. (More details)
- Noël Nouvelet – TTBB a cappella. A traditional 15th Century French carol. (More details)
- Patapan – SSATB a cappella. A traditional French carol. (More details)
- See the Baby Boy – SAB with SSS semi-chorus and soprano solo. A catchy Christmas song with a calypso feel. (More details)
- Tu scendi dalle stelle – 2-Part, SSA. The best-known and most-loved traditional Italian Christmas carol. (More details)
Arrangements immediately available
All of my arrangements are available to be purchased online for immediate download. Simply click on the (More details) link beside the selected title. Original compositions usually leave the warehouse in 1 to 2 weeks.
“We Need a Little Christmas”
By the way, if you’d like to include this title in your Christmas repertoire this year, I’m sorry, I don’t have an arrangement of it. But may I suggest one by Mac Huff (More details).
My Christmas Wish
My Christmas wish for each and every one of you during these challenging times is that you stay safe and well, that Christmas brings you renewed hope for the future and that you have the opportunity to share all that this season means to you with friends and family.